Ithaca Children's Garden loves its volunteers!
Bees buzz, chickens scratch, plants grow and produce, and children learn and play. Behind the scenes are the super stars of this vibrant organization: Our Volunteers!
ICG has a tiny little staff. The garden only happens because of volunteers just like you. Whether you've visited with your toddler once and watered our veggie plants, or you've attended every volunteer day (and then some) ready to spend hours doing heavy labor, your contribution makes our garden grow.
Here are some of the ways volunteers help ICG's heart beat...
We love volunteers so much that we've created a whole new program just for you:
ICG Volunteer Academy!
Volunteer Wednesdays - Party in the Garden
Welcome to Volunteer Wednesdays - Party in the Garden!
From March 18 - October 28, every Wednesday evening from 5:30-7:30pm, we will host a volunteer session so many hands (even the littlest ones) can tackle bigger projects together, learning along the way. Of course, there will be snacks, music, gifts, and hopefully lots of laughter! If you go home dirty and happy, we've done our job!
2015 Learn and Grow Series
And because we believe learning is fun, on the first Wednesday of each month we will offer an in-depth one-hour class about a particular topic, then spend the next hour putting our new skills into practice in the garden. The classes are fee-based and open to all, but regular volunteers will earn free classes (and other free stuff) using a frequent volunteer stamp card. Mark your calendar now and check back for details.
- May 6: Gardening with Kids (with Yamila Fournier)
- June 3: Heirloom Gardening with Seed Saving in Mind (with Chrys Gardener*)
- July 1: Honey Harvesting & Gardening for Bees (instructor TBA)
- August 5: Cooking from the Garden (instructor TBA)
- September 2: Build a garden workbench (with Alan Vogel)
- October 7: Bulbs - Flowers and Garlic (with Yamila Fournier)
- November: Volunteer Thank You Party - Date TBA Soon!